Monday, February 29, 2016

The Controller - Installment # 2 in which Mork introduces angels

Allen reaches for the intercom and asks Jenny, the bookkeeper, to come into his office.
Jenny is one door away. I like Jenny. She comes with Marvel who gets more work than I do. That’s because Jenny can be a little clumsy…big feet. Here they come.
The door falls open and Jennie would have tripped on the sill where the carpet begins, but Marvel is there to lift her foot that extra few millimetres.
Very dexterous, that Marvel. You might be wondering why Marvel can help Jennie with stuff like that and I don’t have the pleasure with my human. Marvel is allowed to be a very attentive guardian angel all day long because every morning when Jennie awakes, she prays to the Lord for help. Marvel told me about his daily instructions. I am so jealous. The instructions even vary from day to day, absolutely engaging for Marvel. He has the liberty to be creative, not quite like humanswe angels can’t make thingsbut he has a lot of answers to implement. 
Helping Jenny not to trip on the way into the room is not an exciting big deal and you might call it mundane, but any work is better than no work and is probably an answer to the prayer, ‘keep from being clumsy today’ or maybe ‘send your angels to guide me today.’ We angels love work and thrive on it. Of course the bigger the assignment the better. I'm patiently waiting for some juicy assignments.
You may be wondering why I refer to Marvel as ‘he.’ It’s a preference that’s all. We’re sexless angels so using sex-differentiating pronouns doesn’t entirely work, but to refer to one of us as an 'it' would be totally inappropriate. We’re not things, we are beings. We serve. 
I love our job. Well, I'll admit mine is a little boring right now, but there is potential in my human…especially if Jenny has a sayI’m not holding my breath but that could happenthey might even become romantically attracted. They are both single. He’s a little older. They look good together, would make a good couplejust my opinion of course. He is clean shaven, with trusting brown eyes, square chin, thick wavy hair, square shoulders, slight dimple in one cheekwhat else can I tell you?strong hands.  She is tall, slim, with short blonde haircute really, always smiling. I already told you about the big feet. The two of them actually have the same shoe size, something they haven’t yet discovered. 

Marvel and I are secretly rooting for them as a couple, not that we have a say. We are the servants, and content with that. 
We angels realized just how good we have it when we saw what happened to those who weren’t satisfied. You’ve heard of Satan? I don’t know a human who hasn’t. Well he wasn’t satisfied with the servant thing. He wanted to be the BOSS and he actually got what he wanted, sort of. He is a boss now…boss of a lot of us. He was able to convince one-third of all the angels to go for his spiel.  It is hard to blame them. What he said sounded so plausible at the time that I almost got taken in. Basically he lied. He said anyone who followed him would have it made, no more servant stuffnot true. Anyone who followed him could know everything God himself knowsnot true.
 I am grateful everyday for not following him. All those angelsdemons nowhave to listen to their new boss and resent every minute of it. Most of them take it out on you humans. That’s where a lot of our work comes in these days, undoing the work of demons. Take Nick for instance. He came in here with a couple of demons. Not the really bad ones, just a few minions. That’s the way it starts. A person attracts the minions who influence him until he asks them for help and they call in the bigger guys, the strongmen, and pretty soon there is this huge fortress we can’t access unless the person seriously wants out and asks God for help. I could tell you stories about battles. No time now, looks like I may be needed here. 

No comments: