Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Controller - Installment # 4 in which Nick applies his charm

The next morning Nick shows up with Star Bucks' for both Allen and Jenny. “I don’t know how you two take your coffees.” He pulls a handful of creams and sugars out of his suit-coat pocket. While they are fixing their coffees, Nick agrees that Jenny take notes during their meeting. “It will keep us accountable. I think this company has to run on integrity.” 


Like the good book says, "Evil people say things to make themselves look good, but they keep their evil plans a secret."*  Mork is standing in the window frame behind Allen's desk. 

“This company has always valued integrity.” Allen reminds Nick of the company motto, ‘Rental equipment you can count on.’ When your dad was alive and running this place...." 
Nick cuts him off. “I’ve been thinking, I would like to change our name…not right now but within a year or so. ABC is so...so basic.” Nick looks at Jenny. Maybe you could come up with a name.” He smiles a warm friendly smile and leans back in his chair to sip his coffee.
“So, Allen, what I want to know from you is exactly what this company is worth…a list of all the assets, so to speak. I also want to make it worth more. Whatever it is worth I want it to grow.  And, that is where I need advice from you. What is the best way to move forward?”
Now it is Allen’s turn to lean back in his chair. He strokes his chin. “Well, there are a few things to consider. This is not a simple question." 
“I'm not expecting an immediate answer. How long do you think you need?”
Jenny waits, ready to write whatever Allen says.
Allen continues to stroke his chin. “He looks at his calendar. We have inventory coming up this next month. After that would be a good time to formulate a plan. Something like this needs some solid research.”
Nick pulls out his phone. How about I set a deadline for next March, six months from now?”
Allen nods.
Nick smiles and finishes his coffee. He sits back and looks around the office. “You should get your office spruced up. I know a decorator. I’ll send him over. You just tell him what you want it to look like.”
Allen looks around as if he is noticing the surroundings for the first time. “Really Nick, I don’t need this place redone. It is perfectly functional.”
“I insist—we can’t have my most essential employee working out of a hovel. I don’t want to hear no for an answer. Besides, this decorator owes me a favour.” With that Nick stands. On his way out he turns to Jenny, “When he’s here, you tell the decorator how you want your office done as well.”

"Many people are nice to a generous person. Everyone wants to be friends with someone who gives gifts."** Nick knows a few things.

Allen and Jenny make sure Nick has left, before they speak. “Well, things aren’t looking so bad,” Jenny comments as she looks over what she has written. “He wants a list of assets and recommendations on how to grow the company, not to mention a spiffy new look around here.” She slaps her notes down on Allen’s desk.
“Thanks Jenn.”
“You are more than welcome. I’m going to mull over a new look for my office.” She skips out, once more nearly tripping. 

Marvel catches her just in time.

* Proverbs 26:24 ERV
** Proverbs 19:16 ERV

No comments: