Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Disaster of Biblical Proportions?



“In many ways, it is a disaster of biblical proportions,” Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser said about the flooding in Australia.

Almost a million square kilometres of land has been affected. About 200,000 people live in that area, about 1,000 people are staying at evacuation centres, and one woman drowned after trying to cross a flooded causeway.*

What part of this makes it a disaster of biblical proportions? What does that even mean?

When I asked the question on Facebook, a friend answered with, “When God said he would never again send a flood to cover the earth the inhabited parts of the earth were much smaller. I'm thinking that the people in New Orleans, in Newfoundland and now in Australia are feeling that their world is flooded. I just hope that all the wild weather in the world is the sound of HIS footsteps getting closer.”

When I was in the middle of my own disasters of unbiblical proportions, I began to understand.

Disaster # 1: My daughter’s cell phone slipped into a sink full of water. She needed a new phone. Cost: $67.

Disaster #2: When we lifted the protective plastic that had been placed under the Christmas tree to guard our precious hardwood floor, we discovered a slightly wet floor.

While I was blow drying the wood and sanding down the rough spots, I thought of all those people in Australia. That’s when I began to pray for them.

Thank you Lord, for showing me the answer to my question.

* The facts according to a report in The Hamilton Spectator.

No comments: