Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Awakening My True Identity (part 2)

(continued from previous post)

At the writer’s conference, just before supper on the day of my appointment with the image consultant I changed into my favourite “Sunday best” blue clothes with my little pearl teardrop earrings, the ones Alice helped me buy for my son’s wedding four years ago. Yes I went all out.

During supper I kept an eye on my watch and took special care not to spill anything.

With the last bite of lemon meringue pie, I excused myself from the dinner table to head over to the Century Lodge for my scheduled appointment.

There was no one there.

Did I have the time right?

I dug into my bag for the strip of appointment paper. It said, “MARIAN DEN BOER you have an appointment with DIANE CALLENDER for an image consultation at 6:15 p.m. on FRIDAY.”

I walked through the Century Lodge looking for every possible area that might be used as a consultation space. I even checked the washroom. I met a fellow conference attendee. I asked if she knew where the image consults were being held.

“Like you need one,” she responded.

I wanted to hug her.

(to be continued)

No comments: