Monday, June 24, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (103)

(a novel continued)


Justin focused on Mary. “Today, I just want us to  become acquainted and then you can decide if you would like to continue with the counseling. No charge for today. And, your parents are welcome to join for this session.” He emphasized, 'this session.'
“Do you want us there?” John asked.
Mary shrugged. “I guess so.”
Minnie and John looked at each other. John nodded. Minnie agreed.
Justin took them to a smallish room with a round table surrounded by five padded boardroom chairs. He motioned them to be seated. “Now, tell me what you expect from a counselor?”
Mary told him a bit about life on the compound and her need to free herself of Brandon’s voice. “I’m not there anymore, but it colours everything I do. I’m always thinking, ‘What would Brandon say about this?’ Every time. Even though I don’t give a piece of crap what he thinks—excuse the language.”
Justin wrote something on his pad of paper. “Anything else?”
“No, that’s about it. Well, maybe one more thing, I’m a little paranoid about possibly meeting him somewhere. Like today, I thought you might be him.”
Justin wrote another short note on his pad.
“Anything else?” He looked at the three of them.
Minnie and John stayed quiet.
Mary looked Justin in the face. “Do you think you can help me? How long would it take and how much does it cost? I don’t have a whole lot to spare. Everything I earned at the compound in the last five years was all on paper. I never really saw any of it.”
“We can work something out,” John said.
Justin stood up. I’ll take you out to see Marilyn, she has the rates.”
John and Marilyn worked out a satisfactory payment plan and the three of them were on their way.
"Thanks dad." Mary said. "I'll pay you back when I can."
"Actually, I could use some help down at the greenhouses. You could pay it off that way."
"I'd like that."
They decided to walk over to Louie’s for dinner. They didn’t have a reservation, but it was midweek and the place probably wouldn’t be too crowded.
They were right. The place wasn’t the least bit crowded. They had the dining room to themselves.
When Minnie asked the waitress how she liked her job, she said she loved it during the tourist season, but this was her last week. She would be doing something else at least until the following spring. “I need the tips,” she admitted. “No customers, no tips.”
The family ordered the house wine, an appetizer to share, the house special for three followed by pecan pie. They sat and talked mostly about Mary’s childhood. “You were such a happy kid,” Minnie said.

“Yes, and always wanting to help out,” John added. 

No comments: