Thursday, March 21, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (41)

(a novel continued)


“I’ll tell Ramone. Just wait by the lake.”
Minnie looked down under the partly filled lake. She looked for John. He wasn’t at the house. He wasn't at his work. This would be Tuesday morning. Where could he be? This time of year he always had plenty to do on Tuesday. This was the day he should be receiving deliveries and loading his truck for market. 
Minnie half-expected her stomach to knot. Instead she felt a quiet assurance, a delight actually. “Dear Lord thank you for taking care of John, for guiding and protecting him.” 

Lydia arrived.
The two women set off down the path to the east. There was no need to talk; they felt like they had been friends forever. They walked several kilometres before Lydia asked, “What is your favourite thing about heaven.
“Talking to Jesus,” Minnie said.
 “I like the worship,” Lydia said.
They came to a small river. The water sparkled cool and clear. “Let’s swim” Lydia suggested.
“In our clothes?”
“Why not? They’ll dry.”
Lydia jumped into the water. She swam around, diving and floating. “Come in, it’s wonderful.”
“I’m not much of a swimmer,” Minnie said. “I never, ever put my head under.”
“What about when you were baptised?”
“I was sprinkle baptised as a baby.” 
“Well, we’ll have to fix that.” 
“Does it have to be fixed?” 
“Minnie, who decided to sprinkle baptise you?”
“My parents of course.”
Did you have a say in it?”
“I was an infant.”
“So how can a baby 'repent and be baptised'  as Jesus put it, if that baby isn’t even aware that she is getting baptised? Answer me that. You’ll have to be baptised right here and right now. We might as well get it done.”
“What difference does it make?”
“Do you accept Jesus as your king, the Lord of your life?”
“I do.”
“Jump in and be baptised. You will know the difference. Trust me.”

No comments: