Monday, February 18, 2013

Minnie Goes to Heaven (18)

(a novel continued)


Minnie and Samuel settled opposite each other. The blades of grass under and around them instantly wove into comfortable cushioned chairs. Minnie giggled. 
Samuel raised his hand as if testing the air, “The first thing one has to learn is to be still. Quiet your mind. Can you do that?”
“Yes, I think so.”
“Now expect to hear God talking. God’s voice, his Word, holds everything together. Without his voice there would be nothing that is. When your spiritual ears are open, you can hear his voice. His is a wonderful voice full of grace and truth.”
Minnie sat still. She listened. “I don’t hear anything except a lullaby.”
“That’s God’s voice in the grass. Very good.”
“Okay, ask God a question. Ask him what he wants you to know. My first time, I said, 'Speak Lord, your servant is listening'.”
“Speak Lord, your servant is listening.” She waited.
In her mind she heard very distinctly, “Minnie, I love you.”
“I love you too Lord. Oh, how I love You.”
“Ask him what he wants you to know,” Samuel coached.
“Lord, what do you want me to know?”
“I will trust you with a task Minnie. Your time here is a preparation time. Use it wisely. Know that Samuel is an excellent teacher...one of the very best. Trust him. Learn from him.”
“Oh Lord, I will do whatever you say.”
“Now, wasn’t that easy?” Samuel said.
The hour flew by as Samuel taught. He told Minnie that listening to God in heaven was much easier than listening to Him on earth where the enemy was constantly interfering. “Many of us got into trouble back there when the enemy deceived us into thinking he was God talking. Well, the enemy is totally banned from heaven and that is why this place is so...so heavenly.”
The class ended when they saw Minnie’s parents coming around the stand of trees. “I’ll meet you again tomorrow in this very place,” Samuel said. “By then we’ll know what the next lesson is to be about.”
Minnie’s parents walked with her back to the cottage.

No comments: